Saturday, February 13, 2016

Let me see you do that yoga

Yoga is for everyone.

Seriously, check out this fabulous curvy yogi who can do things I can only dream about.

But for some reason, it took me a long time to be comfortable enough to join a yoga class.  It takes a certain amount of vulnerability to be in a room moving your body into seemingly impossible positions, surrounded (mostly) by perfect tens.

I have many friends who practice yoga, and some who even teach.  They have always been willing to show me various poses and talk about the benefits of yoga.

It wasn't until I went to a class back in the summer with my friend Glynnis that yoga truly captured my heart.

Glynnis took me to a studio called Octopus Garden for an all levels evening class.  There were about 10 of us in the room, which was quiet, candlelit and relaxing in every way.

The instructor had no idea it was my very first class, and I pretended to follow along as if I knew what I was doing.

During two of the poses I burst out in tears.  It was unexpected.  But I just kept thinking: "This is my body."  I suppose I hadn't spent very much time simply appreciating it.  But in the silence of the room, positioned in a way I'd never been before, I couldn't help but cry.

After the class I thanked the instructor for guiding me through.

I continued to try many of the poses at home, bought a few books, and made my way to another studio today called Studio Blue for a class designed for questions and answers around poses.

It turns out I was doing EVERYTHING wrong.  But I am excited to keep learning.  The stretches are incredible, the level of flexibility required is unreal, and the time spent simply appreciating your body is priceless.

So I'll keep trying beginner classes for the next 6 months, and hopefully by my birthday in July I'll be ready to graduate to level I.  The dream is to be capable of inversions, and specifically (one day): handstands!

I'll keep you posted!

In the meantime, enjoy some Janelle Monae:


No comments:

Post a Comment