Friday, February 19, 2016

So You Think You Can Dance?

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not exactly much of a dancer.

I mean, I can do the hustle... and with enough alcohol in my system and the right 90s slow jam playing (usually Ginuwine "Pony"), my body can move with the best of them.

But when it comes to choreography, I stiffen up.  I lose my balance, I can't get the steps right, or get my muscles to activate to the precision requested by the instructor.

This was a dance week.

I took beginner Dancehall and Hip Hop classes at the Underground Dance Centre.

I was petrified when I walked in for the first time.  I imagined a scene like "Fame" - A studio filled with long and lean dancers who can do this in their sleep.  It took all of my courage to go in and give it my best.

I was pleasantly surprised by the friendly and welcoming environment.  The beginner classes were filled with people just like me... beginners.

I followed along with the choreography, (usually losing it near the end), but was still very proud of myself for giving it a try at all.

I've come a long way from my very first dance class in August of last year with my friend and choreographer Jordan Washington.


Don't get me wrong, I'm under no delusions that with any amount of practice I'll be Beyonce.  I like to think of myself as more of a Jill Scott when it comes to music.  But I'm definitely having fun with it!

And with that, I'll leave you with a new song I jammed out with my buddy David Lee on Monday.  Take a listen and let me know what you think!






No comments:

Post a Comment