Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Run, Gooch, Run!

I've never been much of a runner.

Memories of running for me consist of wheezing after harrier practice around the field at John Campbell Elementary.  There were additional bouts of jogging for health as I got older: once in high school I started running in my neighbourhood making it no longer than 5 minutes before turning back and walking home.

It went something like this:



One summer in University I started "jogging" to the river.  It usually took about 20 minutes, and I moved at a glacial pace, walking back of course.  But I felt like a million bucks.

It helped having lots of runner friends in University.  Not to brag, but the University of Windsor boasts the best track team in Canada, and my closest friends were some of the biggest stars on the team.  They coached me through and advised that I start small and incrementally increase my distance and time.  So I started with 5 minutes, adding one minute a run until I reached 20 minutes.  Intervals helped as well until I could make it through without slowing down.

This year when I started running again after the surgery I noticed a significant change in my endurance.  I started small with 5 minutes, 6 minutes, 10 minutes, 12 minutes, and then 15.

In consultation with my friend (and remarkable sprinter) Danielle Harrison, I decided to do a test run.  In perfect conditions (on a treadmill) I decided to run for as long as I could at 5mph and make that my new base to train from.

I got to the gym this morning with every intention to give it my best.  30 minutes.  That was the goal.  I whizzed past 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 25, 30, and then, by some sort of miracle, I just kept going!  35 minutes, 40, 45 minutes, 50...

I wish I could say I went for an hour, but at around 50 minutes I felt a pain in my foot and decided not to push myself too hard.  I can do 60 minutes next week ;)

So there it was: 50 minutes on the treadmill at 5 miles per hour.

The longest I've ever run in my life.  Definitely a great base for me to start my training towards the Tough Mudder in September!

There was a moment, (somewhere around 5k) when I could have cried.  I was doing it.  My body was capable of more than I knew.  And if it hadn't been for the pain in my foot (which I'm thinking might have been a signal for better support in my shoes) who knows how long I could have gone.

I went to work super charged this morning.  The work day isn't finished, but it feels like I have all the energy in the world to finish my projects.

Can't wait to get outside and start running in the great outdoors.  I have a feeling the imperfect conditions will make this all the more challenging.

Bring it on.


"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."  - Ernest Hemingway


No comments:

Post a Comment